Phantom NY Pilot Boat

Tiny Pieces

February 9, 2016

A few more days, a few more bits of progress…

Installed the hause pipes, which required a bit of reshaping for the cast parts (they arrived as more ‘oval’ than round).  Got the cleats and eyebolts installed.

Made some chain plates, following the practicum’s technique.  I’m pretty happy with how they turned out.  Ended up being much easier than I was expecting. The alignment of the holes isn’t perfect, but I think it will be close enough once they are installed and painted.


Also got the mast holes put in.  To get the angles, I built a wood jig that sat on the deck and had a ‘fin’ that was cut to the correct angle.  I trimmed the base of each mast and stuck them in there just to see the ship with some masts…those are coming out and being set aside for later (when I get to permanently installing them, I’ll get the angles just right.)


I cut, curved, and painted the splash rails.  But I’m not happy with how they turned out, so I’m probably going to start over on those.  The paint finish didn’t come out the way I wanted.

Making progress…