Bluenose Canadian Schooner

Deck Stained

August 15, 2016

Day 136.

The hull needed a bit of touch up work after painting.  I decided to do some, and put the rest off for a bit.  In between touch ups, I decided to stain the deck.

The process started with touch ups to grey waterways.  In several places, some white from the bulwarks had gotten under the tape.  I fixed this by hand, using a small brush to give all the grey a quick once-over.

Next up was the white bulwarks.  In a few spots, I didn’t get a good enough coat on with the airbrush (mostly in the corners where the stanchions meet the planks).  Again, I touch this up by hand with a brush.

During both of these steps, I tried to also clean up the edges, where the grey meets the white at the bottom of the stanchions and bulwarks.

The next phase of touch ups is on the outer hull – cleaning up the yellow and white stripes.  I’m not looking forward to that.  So instead…I decided to stain the deck.

Having the bulwarks and waterways cleaned up made me really excited to see how they’d look with the deck stained.  Staining is pretty quick and easy, so it seemed like a good thing to knock out during an abnormally busy weekend.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I planned to use a ‘natural’ color stain.  However, over the last few weeks, while waiting for paint to dry, I’ve been browsing photos of other Bluenose builds, and those with slightly darker decks really jumped out at me.

After surveying the variety of stain colors I had on hand, I went with a Minwax ‘cherry’ color.  I gave the deck a couple final passes with 800 grit sandpaper, and stained away.  Two coats later, I was done.


Part of the fore deck and the rear quarter deck.


Top down view of the whole ship.


The quarter deck.  The stain really made the ‘caulking’ between the planks stand out.

I still need to finish touching up the yellow and white lines on the outside of the hull, and I need to decide if I want to seal the deck now, or wait until I get the deck structures in place.

Sealing it now will be easier (won’t have to work around deck structures), but I’d either have to mask off the areas where the structures will go, or scrape of the sealer before I glue the structures in place.  I’ve heard that glue doesn’t stick well to wood sealer.