Bluenose Canadian Schooner
April 7, 2017
It has been almost three months since I’ve gotten anything done on the ship.
Immediately after finishing the winch machinery, I started in on the chain plates. The Bluenose has 20 chain plates that need to be built and installed, and I got halfway done within a couple of days.
Then disaster struck.
We have some people who come clean our house every other week, and this time they decided to ‘clean’ my work bench. It seems this involved taking a rag and wiping the surface of my bench, sending any small parts flying.
I managed to recover 3 of the remaining 10 chain plates. I found them buried in the carpet. The other 7 were lost.
Remaking the chain plates would only take an hour or two, but it was very demotivating. I decided to take a week or two off from the ship. That short break continued right up until a remodel of our house started a few weeks later. The remodel required that I break down my work space and pack up all my tools. My ship was wrapped in plastic to protect it from dust, and placed in one of the only rooms that wasn’t getting touched – an extra bathroom.
The remodel took about 6 weeks, including all the prep work before and the final details after. Once it was finished, I started the process of setting my workbench back up. This went fairly quickly, but it took another week or so to get all my power tools set back up.
So finally, after all this time, my build is ready to resume.
Now I have to make chain plates. Again.